Monday, September 19, 2022

HAVE FUN!

 ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?




I hope that you are having fun. There is an adage that you write some parts of your story to create friction between the characters, some you write to develop your characters and some you write simply for fun! Why not? Yes, writing is serious work, but why write if you can't have fun?

I find great joy in creating characters who are a bit quirky. For example, Aunt Mable, in “Lone Oak” is sassy with a heart as big as the Alaskan outdoors. She has a sharp tongue at times but also a tender heart. Everyone calls her “Aunt Mable” even if there are no nephews nor nieces in the story.

Just a couple of examples of my, and my children's, favorite character from “Lone Oak”.


Elizabeth stomped her foot. “Ugh! Can you believe the nerve of that man? Thinking I need someone to look after me. Why, I was doing just fine before he came along.” Her face was crimson with anger, and she clenched and unclenched her small fists. “Why I have half a mind to—”

To what, dearie? He just wants to make sure you’re safe is all. Maybe he’s a bit overprotective, but he means well. Give him a little bit of an opportunity, and you’d find him a real gem. Of course, all gems need some polishing. That’s where us womenfolk come in.” Aunt Mable smiled at the young woman pacing the floor in front of her. “Now come sit here before you wear a hole in my rug.”

______________________________________________________


He has you treatin’ his wounds and fussin’ and frettin’ that he might get killed, and then he thinks, just because he’s been shot a couple of times, he can get out of it? I’ll give him a few more lumps if that’s what he thinks,” the oldster fumed.


I love Aunt Mable. Just don't get on her bad side. Why did I create her? Because she was fun, funny, sassy, tough and tender all in one. Kind of like the grandma we would all love to have. And if you read the story, you'll find out she can cook like your favorite aunt or grandma too. I think she adds to the story, but the real reason she is such an integral part, is because she was fun to create.

Are we having fun yet? You better believe it!!


Until next time, this is Phil Hardy signing off.



www.authorphilhardy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Radio Interview

    Some folks might think doing a radio interview would be extremely stressful. I think of them as a lot of fun. David Francoeur does a gre...